Battered Persons Advocacy

What We Do

Our core philosophy is to provide options, resources, and information about how to increase safety and build a life free of violence.

  • Emergency Services: includes 24-hour crisis line, peer counseling, safety planning, danger assessment, assistance with food, hygiene items, 911 emergency cell phones, door lock changes and many other emergency services.
  • Emergency Shelter: Emergency safe shelter for survivors of family violence, sexual assault, stalking, and human trafficking.
  • Transitional Services: support groups, long term case management support and transitional housing apartments. Transitional housing at BPA does charge rent, but BPA housing is approved for HUD and several other rental assistance programs and rents are below market value.
  • Legal Advocacy: assistance with filing protective orders, court support, advocacy with law enforcement and courts.
  • Sexual Assault Response Services: coordinate county wide sexual assault team, coordinate and provide acute hospital rape response, peer counseling, legal and medical advocacy.
Services at Battered Persons’ Advocacy are free* of charge and confidential.  
All ages, genders and sexual orientation are eligible for services. 
How to access our services:
  • We can be reached 24-hours a day, 7 days a week on our crisis line at (541) 673-7867 or (800) 464-6543
  • Walk ins and/or appointments are welcome at our public office at 1202 SE Douglas St., Roseburg.  Monday through Friday, 8:30-5 pm.
  • Legal advocacy/restraining order assistance is at the Douglas County Courthouse, Monday through Friday at 7:30am (Closed for major holidays)
Advocates can also provide you information about (SNAP) Food Stamp Program or you can contact the Roseburg Department of Human Services Office at phone: (541) 440-3301. What are food stamps?

The Food Stamp Program helps low-income households eat well by providing extra dollars to buy food. In Oregon, people get monthly food stamp benefits to buy food on the Oregon Trail card. It works like a bank debit card in the machines at your grocery store checkout. Your Oregon Trail food stamp card will come with instructions for using it.

You may be able to get food stamps even if…

  • You own your home. No lien will be placed on it.
  • You are working full time or part time.
  • You get unemployment insurance.
  • You have a good car and money in the book.
  • You are going to school.
  • You are a couple.
  • You are living with others.

How do I apply for food stamps?

You can pick up and turn in an application at your local food stamp office (see the information phone number below.) When you come into the office for your interview, you will need to bring:

  • Photo identification (such as a driver’s license).
  • Social Security numbers for everyone whom you are applying.
  • Proof of your rent and utilities costs (such as bills or receipts).
  • Proof of your income (such as check stubs).
  • For non-citizens, proof of lawful immigrant status for household members seeking benefits.



Battered Persons’ Advocacy operates its program, services and activities in compliance with federal nondiscrimination laws. No person shall, on the basis of race, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), disability, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any of our programs. To file a complaint of discrimination, write Office of Civil Rights, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice (OCR), 810 7thStreet, NW, Washington, DC 20531 or call 202-307-0690 (Voice) or 202-307-2027 (TDD/TTY). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may also contact OCR through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339 (TTY), 877-877-8982 (Speech) or 800-845-6136 (Spanish)